- Faculty Research Fellowships
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
- Graduate Dissertation Fellowships
- Marilyn Yalom Research Fund
- Marjorie Lozoff Graduate Prize
- Myra Strober Prize
- Susan Heck Summer Internship
You are here
1. What is the deadline for application and how do I apply?
The application deadline is February 9, 2017, 9:00pm PST (midnight EST).
Applications are submitted online. Applicants can return to the application to change and update information as many times as needed before the application deadline. All fields must be completed and required documents uploaded by the application deadline to be eligible for consideration.
2. How many fellowships are given each year?
One to three awards of $27,700 each will be made for academic year 2017-18. The stipend amount will be finalized by September 30, 2017.
3. What are the eligibility requirements?
All currently enrolled Stanford Ph.D. candidates (males and females), in any discipline, who are in the writing phase of their doctorate are invited to apply for a Graduate Dissertation Fellowship (GDF). The dissertation research must focus on issues of women and/or gender. Applicants must be continuously enrolled for the duration of their fellowship, and be on campus during the Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters of the fellowship year.
4. Are non-Stanford students eligible to apply for these fellowships?
No. Only Ph.D. candidates currently enrolled in one of Stanford's Ph.D. programs are eligible.
5. Are there any citizenship requirements for these fellowships?
No. Anyone from any country may apply provided they meet all other eligibility requirements.
6. Are re-applicants disadvantaged in the selection process?
No. Not being awarded a fellowship in a previous competition will not influence review of an application.
7. Can I apply for more than one grant, prize, or award offered by the Clayman Institute?
Current applicants submitting for a fellowship, prize, and/or award may only be offered funding in one category; applications in more than one category are allowed.
8. How will I know that my online application has been received?
You will receive an auto-reply after submission letting you know that your application has been received. You must ensure that your application is complete; you will not be notified otherwise. Please carefully review the application requirements before submission.
9. To whom should my references send their letters of recommendation?
Ask your references to submit their letters of recommendation online. Specific instructions about how to do this are provided to you during the online application submission process.
10. When will I be notified of an award?
Fellowship awards will be announced in April 2017.
11. May I hold fellowships and appointments ouside of the Clayman Institute concurrently?
No other employment, assistantship, or fellowship (unless specifically intended for travel or research expense) may be held concurrently. Exceptions to this restriction must be approved by the Clayman Institute
12. May I defer a fellowship for a year?
No. We do not accept deferrals. Should you be unable to accept a fellowship, the award will be offered to an alternate. You may apply again the next year provided you meet all other eligibility requirements.
13. What if I plan to travel during my fellowship year? Is this allowed?
No. Applicants must be continuously enrolled for the duration of their fellowship and be on campus during the Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters of the fellowship year.
14. What if I take a leave of absence during my year? Is this allowed?
No. Applicants must be continuously enrolled for the duration of their fellowship and be on campus during the Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters of the fellowship year. If a leave of absence is taken, then the fellow will forfeit his or her stipend.
15. To whom should technical difficulties with the application be directed?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put "Clayman Postdoc Fellowship" as the subject heading.
16. To whom may I direct general questions?
We encourage you to review this section of FAQ's and to carefully read through the Graduate Dissertation Fellowships section of our website.