Faculty Research Fellowships
Application Opens October 1, 2022
Closes March 1, 2023
Closes March 1, 2023
Clayman Institute Faculty Research Fellows, along with our Affiliated Faculty, collaborate at bi-monthly luncheon discussions, which are scheduled during the academic year. At these luncheons, fellows report on their own gender-based research to an interdisciplinary audience of scholars.
Applications are submitted online and should include:
- A curriculum vitae of no more than 2 pages
- A proposal of 1,000 words or less stating the purpose to which you plan to apply the funds
Submit application materials to lgottlie [at] stanford.edu (Lea Gottlieb) starting October 1, 2022 through March 1, 2023.
Faculty Research Fellowship Details
We offer up to twelve Faculty Research Fellowships each academic year to members of the Academic Council and members of the Medical Center Line in the Stanford faculty, who are also Faculty Affiliates of the Clayman Institute. We welcome fellowship applications from scholars in all disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, science and engineering, business, law, and medicine. Possible faculty research topics of particular interest to the Clayman Institute include (but are not limited to):
- The gender division of household labor
- Families and women's careers: the 2nd shift, opting out, on-ramping, and flexible schedules
- Representations of women in culture and history
- Gender stereotyping and bias in the workplace
- Gendered meanings and practices at work and home
- Women's experiences in male-dominated fields, such as science and engineering
- Gendered innovations in knowledge: bringing gender analysis into the practice of science
- Gender and culture in history or literature
- Advancing women's progress in the professions of business, medicine, and law
- Historical and cross-national comparisons of women's educational and occupational progress
- Effects of legal mandates (such a Title IX and FMLA) on women's careers
- National policies, organizational polices, and work-family balance: what works?
- Men's involvement in gender equality movements
- Gender, leadership, and entrepreneurship
Please direct all questions to Lea Gottlieb, Fellowship Manager.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fellowship amount?
Each fellowship is worth up to $7,500. Up to three of the fellowships will be supported by the Iris F. Litt, M.D. Fund and are intended primarily for faculty in the medical and biological life sciences.
Can independent scholars apply?
The Clayman Institute is unable to sponsor affiliation with Stanford University; nor is the Clayman Institute able to provide office space, library cards, or administrative support to visiting scholars.
When will I be notified?
Fellowship awards will be announced in April.
Is travel allowed?
We request that you regularly attend the Stanford Faculty Research Fellowship lunch seminars. Please arrange your travel so that it does not significantly impact on your attendance at these interdisciplinary luncheon discussions.
Am I eligible?
Members of the Academic Council and members of the Medical Center Line in the Stanford faculty, who are also Faculty Affiliates of the Clayman Institute, may apply. All disciplines and fields of research are eligible.
Was my application received?
You will receive an auto-reply after submission letting you know that your application has been received. You must ensure that your application is complete; you will not be notified otherwise.